英语习语俚语汇
2018-11-29
●a big fish大人物
In the city I was nothing,but in the country I was considered a big fish.在城里我并不是什么大人物,但是在乡下我被认为是个了不起的人物。
●a piece of cake小菜一碟
For him,the work is a piece of cake.对他来说,这点活儿就是小菜一碟。
●add insult to injury伤口上撒盐;落井下石;火上浇油;雪上加霜
My car barely started this morning,and to add insult to injury,I got a flat tire in the driveway.今天早上我的车差点没发动起来,雪上加霜的是开到车道时一个车胎也没气了。
●all ears洗耳恭听
If you have a good idea for improving my pronunciation,I’m all ears.如果你对改进我的发音有好的建议,我洗耳恭听。
●be down-to-earth脚踏实地
People should be down-to-earth,instead of being over-ambitious.做人应该脚踏实地,不要好高骛远。
●beat around the bush旁敲侧击;兜圈子;拐弯抹角
Don’t beat around the bush!Tell me exactly what Jack said.别拐弯抹角了!实话告诉我杰克说什么了。
●bed of roses称心如意的生活
Life is not a bed of roses,but please treasure it and enjoy it.虽然生活不总是一帆风顺,但是请珍惜生活,享受生活。
●best of both worlds两全其美
The house combines country surroundings with city convenience,so having the best of both worlds.这所房子既有乡村的环境又有城市的便利,两全其美。
●big time非常;很;大大地
And you owe me big time!这回你欠我很多了吧。
●boss around颐指气使
I heard that he loves to boss people around.我听说他很爱指使人。
●cat nap打瞌睡
I try to take a little cat nap every Sunday afternoon.我试着在每个周日的下午小睡一会儿。
●cool it冷静一点
Stop fighting,you boys!Now cool it!孩子们,不要打了!冷静些!
●go places(在社会上等)成功;有成就
Once I’m qualified in my profession,I intend to go places.一旦我有资格从事自己的职业,我就想获得成功。
●go the extra mile多付出代价;多努力一点
He’s always willing to go the extra mile for his friends.他总是愿意为朋友两肋插刀。
●have a cow非常生气
I thought he was going to have a cow when I told him I’d lost his key.我以为当我告诉他我丢了钥匙时,他会大发雷霆的。